Anyone else hate when blogs make you read the life story of WHY the author loves a recipe?
I won’t do that here. These cookies are inspired by Googling “paleo cookies” and seeing what comes up. Best part? They are versatile. You can SWAP in or out certain ingredients (I will share my ideas in the recipe below) to make these how you LIKE your cookies to taste!
Super simple, and lower-inflammatory! These words are music to my med-free living ears! Let’s get to the recipe!!
Cranberry Spiced Macaroons
Makes 12 cookies
Preheat oven to 350F
Equipment needed: food processor, baking sheet pan, parchment paper
1/2 cup whole, raw almonds (toasted golden in oven PRIOR to making these cookies, let cool)
1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened) + 1/2 cup (reserved for later)
1 cup pitted dates (soaked to soften, approximately 1-2 hours)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 cup dried cranberries
1/8 cup chopped walnuts
1) In food processor, place whole almonds and 1 cup coconut. Pulse until almonds are in small pieces, they will not be fine like flour, but a little chunky for texture (this is a binding for the dough, so smaller is better).
2) Add dates to processor mixture. Pulse to combine and break dates all the way up. It will look like a dough is forming at this point.
3) Add in eggs, salt, and cinnamon. Pulse to combine well. Dough will form.
4) Remove dough from processor and stir in cranberries and walnuts. NOTE: You can add ANYTHING into this dough, the add-ins are up to you, so feel free to swap in other dried fruit/nuts, or chocolate (just be aware of the ingredients inside of the chocolate you use, these would even be delicious with 100% cacao chunks-the dates provide plenty of sweetness).
5) Scoop onto parchment lined pan. 12 cookies will fit on a standard pan, with about 1 1/2 inches between each cookie. These do not spread, so if you prefer flatter cookies, press them down. I left mine molded like a traditional macaroon.
6) Bake at 350F for approximately 13-17 minutes (checking at 13 mins to see browning). These are done when the edges become slightly golden.
7) Enjoy immediately, or these can be stored in freezer to enjoy occasionally.
I do not believe that we should EVER stop enjoying our food or the treats that can be baked from whole food ingredients. These cookies are just one of many nutrition tips I am sharing inside of the newly-launched, FREE Inflammation Reboot: Experiment Community!! Tap below to join for yourself and see what kinds of lifestyle tips and ideas you can find!!